This strange looking toy is the Rubik’s companies attempt to create an electronic puzzle cube style game. The Rubik’s Slide is a speed based game where you have to slide the corners to change the shapes on the LED Matrix to make a certain shape. The game itself is fun for a while but gets old fast, and apparently breaks easily. I recently found my Rubik’s Slide (I recently moved) and was disappointed to see that it was no longer functional. So this week we will be cannibalizing this toy and I hope to get some good electronic components as well as some structural parts.
To open this up I removed the battery cover and removed four hidden screws. The inside snapped out into three pieces connected with wire through the center to separate these I snipped the wires. The picture below shows the internals…
After cutting the wires and separating the three layers I was able to remove the circuit boards. There were about 4 unusable buttons that got scrapped and the LEDs were unable to be removed. Besides that I got the following parts…
– The top 3x3x3 panel for a LED matrix
– The center as a plastic structure
– The bottom battery holder
– 1 Three way switch
– One speaker (It’s Green!)
– 5 push button
– 4 Pins
– Various plastic pieces
Its time to serve up a fresh plate of free components! That’s right nerds, this week we will be tearing down an old speaker circuit for parts. I already removed the main circuit and the speakers from the casing. The speakers popped right out and the circuit was unscrewed.
Now lets take a closer look at the circuit…
It looks like we have a large amount of capacitors (useful), some varistors (useful), a power port (useful), a potentiometer (very useful) and what looks like an AV in port (not so useful). The IC is basically useless, even if I could un solder it theres no point in using it. Now that the circuit has been analyzed and we know what we want to canibalize we can get started with the deconstruction of the circuit.
As you can see I have already removed some components in this picture, but basically I am cutting the PCB into smaller segments to work with. This allows me to be more precise in the desoldering. I will heat up the solder and then slowly pull out each component from its spot in the board. After only twenty minutes I was able to finish canibalizing the board and gained 11 capacitors of varying charges, 11 varistors of varying Ohms, the power port out, the AV out and the potentiometer (along with the two speakers already removed).